Mid-week GNBC Family News | November 7, 2018
Greetings Good News family!
Here’s a few things you should know this week…
> IT’S NOT HOW YOU START, IT’S HOW YOU FINISH… We can all learn a few lessons about the danger of not finishing well from a guy named Saul. That’s the message this coming Sunday from The Story, chapter 10. Read 1 Samuel, chapters 1-4; 8-13; & 15, this week to be ready for the sermon. (Listen again to last week’s message here.)
> A BIBLE STUDY FOR WOMEN BY WOMEN – THURSDAY NIGHTS AT 7PM in the Youth Loft. Get to know some new sisters and get to know God better as we go through Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed women loved by a flawless God by Liz Curtis Higgs. Meeting Thursdays – Nov 8, 22, and Dec 6. See Christine McKeller or Maia Borgal for more info.
> NOVEMBER 18 IS THE TARGET DATE FOR OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2018 Make it a family project to make up a shoe box with small, simple, inexpensive gifts for a girl or a boy, and wrap your box (lid separately) in Christmas paper. Bring your box back to the Chapel by Sunday, November 18. A gospel sheet will be added in the right language for a child — one of tens of thousands of kids around the world who will get an OCC gift this year! Make a $7 donation to cover shipping costs.
> SAVE THE DATE Put it in your calendar now, Christmas Eve service, Monday night, December 24th at 5pm. Begin to pray now about ho you can invite to this service celebrating the birth of our Savior!
> REMINDER: Pre-K + K KIDS EXIT EARLY – right after the first two songs in the 10:45 Celebration & Growth service on Sundays to have extended classroom time in Good News Kids.
> SOME CLARITY ON FINANCES AT GNBC In order to verify that GNBC is in compliance with the IRS for compensation to pastors and preachers, the elders and deacons conducted due diligence by consulting five accounting firms. Based on their responses, we have determined that we are and have been in compliance with IRS requirements for expense reimbursements (telephone, mileage, etc.) as well as housing allowances.
For the record, below is an excerpt from the formal opinion rendered by the Senior Tax Accountant at the accounting firm of Schwartz & Schwartz, LLC, located in Boston/Woburn:
- “The income of housing allowancesis reportable but not taxable. You noted that they are an employee so they will receive a W-2. I have seen it where the allowances are included in the W-2 and then backed out on the tax return, but mostly the W-2 wages do not include the housing allowances.
- For reimbursements: the recipient should retain all receipts.”
If you have any questions about finances at GNBC, please feel free to ask any of the deacons: Dave Carter, Arthur Warner, or James Saylors.
> PRAYER & PRAISE…
- Pray for Ann Kepaa, recovering from her second knee replacement surgery in 6 weeks! Pray for no complications and successful recovery!
- Praise God Rochelle Horsman came through successful knee replacement surgery and is home recovering! Pray for continued progress in recovery and Physical Therapy. Send her another card or note: 30 Lamplighter Lane, South Easton, MA 02375. Or call her with an encouraging word at to 508-468-1334.
- Pray for the women and men participating in Celebrate Recovery(Monday nights, 6:30-8:30pm) each week, as God gives them victory day by day over hurts, habits and hang-ups!
- Praise God, Eddy Dionne is reporting no significant pain after a pace maker/defibrillator implant last week!
- Please continue to pray for Joan Leclerc’s back and ankle wounds to heal so she can have much-needed knee surgery soon! Please send Joan a note or card this week: 63 West Street, North Attleboro, MA 02760.
> 6am MEN’S BREAKFAST Join a circle of men for breakfast and scripture-filled encouragement at 6am every Thursday morning at Morin’s Restaurant, 16 South Main Street, Attleboro.
> UPDATE YOUR PROFILE IN THE PASSWORD PROTECTED GNBC ONLINE DIRECTORY! Add a new personal or family photo, a change an address, email, or phone, for your profile in the GNBC online directory. Get listed by emailing Anne Kepaa for your private access code and password. Download the app to your phone for Chapel family names and contact info anytime, anywhere!
> WOMEN & MEN – GET TRAINED TO MAKE DISCIPLES AT SPARK :: For women and men 18+y.o., Life Groups hosts and leaders, ministry team leaders, youth workers, grandparents, parents — anyone who wants to get equipped to make disciples. You’ll come home with your own personal plan of action. 6:30-10:30pm Friday, Dec 7, and 8:45am-10pm Saturday Dec 8 at Holiday Inn – Mansfield. Cost $75/ person. More information and registration online.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-resent help in trouble.
|Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea …
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
– Psalm 46:1, 2, 7 –
Only by grace,
[ PRINTED COPIES OF PAST MID-WEEK GNBC FAMILY NEWSLETTERS ARE POSTED ON THE MAIN HALLWAY BULLETIN BOARD IN THE LOWER END OF THE BUILDING FOR YOUR REVIEW. ]